To Infinity and Beyond!! The hat pattern this month is Buzz Lightyear from the popular Toy Story. The pattern is moderately easy to follow.
Super Saver Yarn in purple, flesh (beige), bright green, light blue, white, and black.
Crochet Hook sizes H and G
2- 3/4" black buttons for the eyes
embroidery thread to match for attaching the facial features
single crochet- sc
double crochet- dc
half double crochet- hdc
slip stitch- sl st
half double crochet together
Using the H hook and the purple yarn, sc 4, sl st to join forming a ring.
Round 1-Ch 3, 8 hdc in ring sl st to join.
Round 2- Ch 3, 2 hdc in each st around, sl st to join.
Round 3- Ch 3, 2 hdc in the first st, 1 hdc in the next st, continue around, sl st to join.
Round 4- Ch 3, 2 dc in the first st, 1 dc in each of the next 2 sts, continue around, sl st to join.
Round 5- Ch 3, 2 dc in the first st, 1 dc in each of the next 3 sts, continue around, sl st to join.
Rounds 6-9- Ch 3, 1 dc in each st around, for earflaps sl st in the next 6 sts, you will begin making the earflaps at this point.
Row 1- Ch 2, hdc in next 11 sts, ch 2 turn
Row 2- hdc2tog, hdc in next 7 sts, hdc2tog, ch 2 turn.
Row 3- hdc in each st across, ch 2, turn
Row 4-hdc2tog, hdc in next 5 sts, hdc2tog, ch 2 , turn.
Row 5- hdc in each st across, ch 2, turn.
Row 6- hdc2tog, hdc in next 3 sts, hdc2tog, ch 2, turn.
Row 7- hdc2tog, hdc in next st, hdc2tog. Fasten off and count across the front of the hat 12 sts, join in next st and repeat earflap. At the end of the 7th row for the second earflap, change the yarn to the bright green and sc all around the hat. Fasten off and weave in ends.
Ear Circles (make 2)
Using the purple yarn, and the H hook, ch 4 and sl st to form ring.
Round 1- Ch 3, 8 dc in the ring, sl st to join.
Round 2- Ch 3, 2 dc in each st around, sl st to join.
Round 3- Ch 3, 2 dc in the first st, 1 dc in the next st, continue around. Fasten off and weave in ends.
For the face:
Using the beige yarn and the G hook, ch 17.
Row 1-dc in the 2nd ch from the hook and in each st to the end, ch 3 and turn.
Rows 2-5 Dc in each st across to the end, ch 3 and turn
Row 6- sc around the entire face to finish. Fasten off and weave in ends.
For the eyes ( make 2)
Using the light blue yarn and the G hook, ch 4 and sl st to form ring
Round 1- 8dc in the ring, sl st to join, change to the white yarn, ch 3 and turn.
Round 2- 2 dc in each st around, sl st to join, and fasten off. Weave in ends. Sew a black button in the center of each eye.
Eye brows (make 2)
Using the black yarn, ch 10 and then fasten off.
To finish Buzz
Using the photo for placement, sew the ear circles to each side of the head, sew the eyes to the face and then attach the eyebrows, sew the face to the front of the hat.
For the braids- using the bright green yarn, cut 12 strands, 24 inches long. Divide into 3 groups and pass through 3 spaces on the last row of the earflap. You now have 3 groups of 8 to braid with. Make braid approx. 4 1/2 inches long. Tie off and trim the ends.
How did you get involved with 818 Ministries?
Rebecca Dotson and I are cousins and roommates from college. I remember exactly where we were when she told me all about 818 (one of our favorite breakfast places, First Watch)! It was so amazing to see how the Lord was using one of the hardest things in her life to give her a passion and ministry to help people who were going through the same thing. I remember her saying it’s hard enough for herself and her family who have a relationship with Jesus…can you imagine how hard it must be for people who don’t have any other hope but in this world? Jesus was bringing light out of such a dark time and I love that I’m able to be a little part of that. Rebecca asked if I’d like to be a part of the writing team, and I had no hesitations to join on this journey with her!
Do you have a life verse?
“However I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me- the task of testing to the gospel of God’s grace.” (Acts 20:24)
Paul was leaving the Ephesian church because he was “compelled by the Spirit, [to go to] Jerusalem, not knowing what [would] happen to [him] there. I only know that in every city the Holy Sprit warns me that prison and hardships are facing me.” I love this because this didn’t stop Paul from going! He was going to walk in the calling God had given him, even if that meant losing his own life. This is what I want my life to look like. I pray that I am bold, confident, not afraid, so in love with Jesus that all other things are counted as a loss compared to finishing the race He has called me to.
What area 5 of your favorite things:
1. NATURE! I love everything about it. The sunset, sunrises, flowers, the fall leaves, clouds. You name it, it’s probably on my Instagram. I just love how nature is such a reminder of God and His glory.
2. Running! It can be a love/hate relationship BUT, I love the feeling of going on a long run after a stressful day! Time to be in creation and let your mind go!
3. My niece and nephews! I really am obsessed with them. They seriously bring so much joy to my heart.
4. Coffee! Love all the things about it. Slow Saturdays mornings sipping on a hot cup of coffee is SO satisfying.
5. Traveling! I love adventure-ing and experiencing all that different locations have to offer!
What are some of your favorite books?
It is one of my goals this year to read more! So this list may change very quickly! But for now some of my favorite books are:
1. Redeeming Love. I literally could not put this one down. If you haven’t read it, it is based of the book of Hosea. It’s a story of God’s relentless pursuit of our hearts, his grace and forgiveness!
2. The Hunger Games. Again, read all 3 in the span of a week! I remember when the movies came out and I had never heard of them so figured I would see what all the rave was about. It sucked me in. Every page left you needing to know what happened next!
What is your favorite hobby?
I started collecting coffee mugs of everywhere I travel with the name of the place on it my senior year of college! That’s when my coffee obsession really took a toll, I started traveling more and had the idea to open a coffee shop one day (who knows, it could happen!). I love that each one will have it’s one story and just a reminder of the awesome opportunities I had to experience something that I love!
How did I get involved with 818 Ministries?
I first got involved with 818 in September 2015. A few ladies from my church went to a women's conference at Fort Bluff Camp and met Rebecca, then came home and taught the ladies of our church how to make the hats and then donated them to our local cancer center here in Paris, TN.
What was your motivator(s)?
My motivators were knowing that I was helping someone who needed it. That made it so much more enjoyable! Knowing that the little handwritten note that went with the hat could make somebody's day made me just want to write notes ALL the time!
Do you have a life verse?
Proverbs 3:5-6 - Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your path.
This verse really sticks out to me because any time I get scared or worried I can always remember that God is always with me.
Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
This verse reminds me that nothing is impossible and I can accomplish what I set my mind on.
What are 5 of your favorite things?
1. My chocolate beagle - Marlie Kate! Y'all, she is the cutest thing EVER! And sadly she knows how to use those sweet little puppy eyes!
2. My guns, I love them all, but my favorite is my 12 gauge SKB shotgun!
3. My camera. I got it for Christmas in 2015, and I love it!
4. My cowboy boots! Y'all, my Mom gives me a hard time because I wear them so much!
5. Although this might not be a material thing like the others, it is something I cherish very much and will have for the rest of my life - the friendship between Ms. Rebecca and me! I love her so much, and she has impacted my life in so many ways, she doesn't even realize it!
What are your top 3 favorite books?
1. Touching Heaven. This book is THE best book ever! It is about a young lady who works with sick children in the hospitals. There are many different stories about certain kids and their experiences through tough lives.
2. Prarie Evers. It is about this little country girl who is in a struggling family. Her best friend has an even worse life though! Her Mom is abusive and an alcoholic and she shot her Dad. Prarie’s family, despite their days of living in poverty, take Ivy in as their own.
3. The education of Ivy Blake. (book 2 of Prarie Evers) In this book, Prarie's
Mom finds out she is expecting. Being the caring hearted little girl she is, Ivy decided to go back and live with her abusive Mom in order for the new baby to have a "better life." After an argument, Ivy goes back to live with Prarie's family. (Hope I didn't ruin any of these books for y'all!)
5. What is your favorite hobby?
Since I want be a vet and live on a HUGE farm when I grow up, my second hobby includes anything and everything animal! Whether it be petting my cat or walking the dog - I LOVE IT and want do it!